Updated: May 31st, 2020
Highlights of the Documents
Thank you very much to Dr. Ricardo Joseph and Dr. Eric Chen of the USJF Medical Committee for their time and expertise in helping to put together this information along with recommendations for our community. This will be helpful for everyone as we all work through the trying & difficult times ahead.
- Many states are starting to open up, easing some restrictions. Each state has its own specific and significantly varied time tables. It is incumbent upon each dojo/club to use the guidelines provided within this document in conjunction with local and state regulations. Please continue to keep current with your local situation.
- This document provides recommendations from the USJF Medical Committee on the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- We must all behave responsibly to protect own health, but also to protect everyone’s health by not contracting, carrying, and transmitting the COVID-19 virus to others.
- These recommendations are based on the current and most up-to-date information and data available at the time of creation. This was accomplished by researching and reviewing guidelines published by various sports medicine organizations, the America College of Emergency Physicians, the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
- We remind you that the COVID-19 pandemic is a rather fluid and sometimes chaotic environment with occasionally conflicting medical information.
- Keep yourself informed with the latest information, developments, and situation by visiting the CDC’s COVID-19 page at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/.
- Also visit your state’s health department website, and keep up with your local news. Empowerment though knowledge and education is critical.
- It is vitally important for everyone to be mindful that each individual’s health situation is unique and may require different strategies. Thus, we strongly recommend that people consult with their primary care physician/doctor/medical professional to ensure that they are taking the appropriate measures that are what is safest and most effective for their personal situation.
- These are general recommendations. It is NOT our intent to circumvent or replace the advice or directives from your primary care physician/doctor/medical professional.
- We encourage compliance with government recommendations, regulations, requirements, and laws.
- Our intent is to help keep all of our members safe while still retaining some flexibility for our high-level elite athletes.